Churches and chapels

Church St. Stephan

The parish church of St Stephen’s is situated on a small terrace above the village; it’s the third church-building which was erected on this spot. Abbot Sebastian Hyller of the abbey of Weingarten/Germany caused the construction of the contemporary building between 1712 and 1714 and dedicated it on July 13th 1721 to the Holy Trinity, the Virgin Mary and to the holy deacon and arch-martyr Stephanus (who is the main patron of our church and parish)

The structure of the church is divided by five bays, the tower is a relict of the last forerunner building. From its style it belongs to the school of Wessobrunn; although the architect is unknown, St Stephen might be a work of Josef Schmuzer, who is also supposed to have built the abbey-church of Ettal. The interior design – including altars and lectern – owes itself to Franz Schmuzer.

The magnificent organ prospectus derives from 1773 and was filled with an organ work from the famous alsacean organ manufacturer Joseph Bergöntzle in 1801; these pipes constitute the better part of today’s instrument.

The high altar originates in the early baroque era and shows the stoning of St Stephen – one of the best works of academic painter Joseph Bucher – and a rotund painting of the Holy-Blood-Relic of Weingarten, flanked by statues of St Barbara and St Catherine of Alexandria.
The presbytery houses sculptures of St. Joseph, St. Anthony of Padua and St. Mary Magdalene, elaborated in early baroque-style, and a gothic figure of St. Sebastian. A pedestal of the southern wall of the nave carries a representation of Our Lady in Sorrow, mourning over the dead body of her divine son in the late gothic style.
The altar-paintings of the side altars – on the right St Andrew, on the left St John the Evangelist – are works of Anton Jehly from Bludenz; Jehlys artistically gifted family also created the frescoes of the ceiling and the side-parts of the church-benches.
The last renovation of the whole church could be completed in 1997.

 

 

Mother Anne is represented in her small sanctuary well a dozen times, on the right side altar in the most significant form of a gothic statue which shows her, her daughter – the virgin Mary – and her grandchild Jesus Christ (an ensemble which is called “Anna-Selbdritt”); that’s no coincidence: in former times St Anne’s was the destination of not a few pilgrimages.
In 1989 a park-like graveyard was created next to the church, and between 1990 and 1993 the most recent renovation was accomplished.

The feast of St Anne is even today solemnized on a Sunday around the 26th of July every year.

 

Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes

In 1895 the old ossuary next to the tower of the parish church was broken down to erect a little chapel in memory of the apparition of Our Lady in Lourdes. Later pastor Sausgruber caused master mason Martin Tuertscher to construct it again, and now it has been used for more then three decades to lay out our deceased until their burial.

 

 


 

Pfarrkirche St. Stephanus

 

 

 

 

Church St. Anna

Today’s church of St Anne is a work of master builder Caspar Schop; it was consecrated on July 26th 1509 by auxiliary bishop Stephanus of Chur/Switzerland and in the 17th and 18th century adapted to the then modern feeling for art. Schops building must have had an antecessor to which it owes the bigger part of today’s tower.
The church is now surrounded by houses, but until less than hundred years ago it was definitely outside the village; old documents speak of “St Anne next to the river Lutz”, and perhaps the church was build at this place to banish the floods of the rivers Lutz and Ill.
In the midst of the 17th century the three wooden altars in late renaissance style found their way hither; the high altar harbours a painting of famous Genoese Giulio Benso and is entwined by presentations of the 15 mysteries of the rosary – a remainder of the fraternity of the rosary which was established at St Anne’s in these days.

 


Chapel of St Hubertus

This chapel – dedicated to the patron saint of huntsmen – was build in 1979 by the five members of the then hunting-society of Thueringen and many auxiliaries in approximately 700 voluntary hours of work at the allotment of Quadern.

On every last Sunday in September the annual “Hubertusmesse” is celebrated here, followed by a little feast.